Tuesday 2 June 2009

MAG - addict

People always have certain addiction. Most girls might be addicted to clothes, some are addicted to chocolate or even boys. Boys on the other hand might be more addicted to football, cars or automobiles, or like my brother, he's addicted to Lego and Starwars. Ever since I was in elementary school, I always had this thing for magazines. I can't live a day without reading them, I collect them and refuse to throw them away. I can read a magazine over and over again even if it is say, 20 years old. I love old magazines and I don't really see the difference between new magazines and old magazines. To me, they are all the same. They both happen to be good reading sources, and even if the information included is like, really old and certainly not current, I don't care, because to me, gaining old information is better than no information at all. I guess I spend most of my allowance on magazines.

Well, anyway, I am a magazine addict. If only I never throw any away, I bet my collection might just hit more than 500 magazines. It includes Donald Duck, Teen Vogue, Nylon, Vogue, National Geographic, National Geographic Traveller, National Geographic Adventure, Elle, Elle girl, Teen People, Girlfriend, Cosmogirl, and some of my sister's GoGirl! I even have amounts of football magazines, and if I add my brother's auto and wizard magazines, it might be far over than 500. I've been throwing out some of them though, just to empty space so I can buy more magazines :). But I never ever ever throw out my Teen Vogues, Nylons and National Geographic series. Never. Vogues and Elle are worth keeping too.

Realizing my addiction on printed media, I figured out that I want to write reviews on the magazines I've been constantly reading for the past 4 or 5 years. Just to share my opinion.
The reviews you are about to read are pure my thoughts. People are different, so if there is any of my opinion that you find weird or harsh or wrong, don't worry, I might be the one who is jumping out of line. Here we go.


National Geographic
(+) It is rich with information you need to know about the world. It has fascinating photos and it includes scientific opinions and facts that can make your mouth accidentally open while reading. The articles and stories are brilliant!
(-)Sometimes, the articles are way too long, and I can get easily bored when they talk about minerals or some sort of chemistry thingy (*chemistry has never really been my thing). The language is slightly tough, but it's good for your vocabulary.


Teen Vogue
(+) I find Teen Vogue as a really chic magazine to read on. They have fashion pages that are relevant for the teen mass with simple yet smart layout. Leigh Belz (music features editor) has a great sense of music. Also, Teen Vogue is always a good way to spy on up and coming models.
(-) I think that the articles are slightly too short and too general. Also, sometimes, Teen Vogue could be extremely thin and that still includes too much advertisement.


Vogue (I only have a couple my mom gave to me after she reads it. I constantly read them from my aunt or some of my friends, or just from magazine stalls. Ha.)
(+)Brilliant fashion editorials with amazing photographs by the most talented photographers. They have first class fashion and beauty spread and is always a great way to see profiles of new designers and fashion legends. I love Tabitha Simmons page!
(-) Lots of the articles are certainly not my age (plastic surgery, post-pregnancy diet, aging?) and are also often too long and boring (to me). The clothes and stuffs are out of reach for a teen like me $.


Nylon
(+)Very artistic layout, amazing music review, and this magazine is more stylish instead of fashionable. The articles are right sized, just perfect for my age and my taste. It includes some of the best cult fashion designers as well as indie actors and actresses. There are also a lot of fun stuffs.
(-) The magazine itself is too big. Nylon also seems to overrate some people (CK, PG). They also have quite a lot of alcoholic drink, cigarette and condom advertisement. So, you need to handle it with care, don't let your very little sister or brother to get to involved. Ha.
*ps : i didn't mean to drop names there, and don't get me wrong, i don't have any hard feelings for CK or PG. love ya xo.


Album Donal Bebek
(+)Classic! and funny.
(-) I don't often see Don Rosa's comic strips anymore and that is sad, because to me, Don Rosa is a legend! He makes the best Donald Duck comics.


I still have loads of magazines I read, but I think the ones I told are the ones I read most and over and over again. And the National Geographic review, it includes NatGeo Traveller and Adventure too. Don't get me wrong, I also read Indonesian magazines, but since my sister is the frequent buyer, it all ends up in her room.

There are also magazines that I haven't been able to own yet, like NME and I.D magazine. As soon as I have the chance to own them (read : enough money to buy or I'll head to the magazine thrift store), I will. Right now, I read them through the internet, but not holding the magazine in your hands is never enough for me!
There is also one magazine that I wish is still available for me to read and raid which is Sassy. I heard that it was pretty much like Nylon from the 80's. oooooh. Does someone own a piece of Sassy? Could you lend it to me? Please? ;-)

No comments: