Monday 1 June 2009

summer feel 09


I love the feel of midyear holidays, they are just so identical with sunny days and great vacations. There are hints when you finally start to feel that the time has come. I call it the summer feeling. It varies for everybody; whether school has finally come to a long break, the weather is getting nicer, Mum booking flight tickets to somewhere far and fun, or for me, it could be something as simple as the annual Nylon music edition. Well, to be honest, I wasn't really into reading Nylon until just last year, when I purchased my first Nylon Magazine, but I tell you what, I fell deeply in love with the magazine as soon as I laid my eyes on it.

I will give you a couple of reasons why Nylon is so awesome : First, it's a magazine for real, I mean, they don't tell you steps you need to get a boy's attention, or here is how to diet -they don't even do horoscopes!- which to me divines coolness. They tell you to be who you are -they embrace people's uniqueness. They have the most amazing girls and guys on the magazine, and what I meant by amazing is that those people have interesting stories to tell, which does not only include their sense and taste of fashion or music -or who they're dating-but also they're opinion on real things going on. It's really inspiring, because real people like us needs to listen to stories from real people and real lives in order to live the dream. Like an article I loved so much from last year's summer issue (featuring Scarlett Johansson the cover), was one about Beth Ditto. It was a hint of inspiration to me.

The second reason why Nylon is brilliant is that it's the complete mix. Not only fashion and music, but lifestyle, traveling and cool gadgets too. And they pack it in the right proportion ; fun and light with articles not too short or exaggeratedly long, just perfect for the young folks. Plus, they have a guy editor-in-chief! I guess that is where the coolness come from, Marvin somehow designed a mediawork that makes us stick to the ground without letting go of the dreams and imagination.

Anyway, the music issue is back, and it is better. Why? Hello! They have Karen O on the cover! Could I ask a better person to fill her position? Emm, no. But I do expect Regina Spektor on the cover sometime soon. Karen O is an amazing women, and in this issue, she's not lonely. When you get to page 144, you'll see Nick Zinner and Brian Chase too. What a relief! (I kinda have this crush on Nick so yeah, I think he was pretty good looking there :9). There is also Jarvis Cocker, The Plasticines, Patrick Wolf, Harry Mcveigh, Adele, and "I kissed a girl" 's video director, Kinga Burza. Swell eh?

Also, with a bunch of cool tunes from Nylon available to download for free, I think I am starting to feel the summer breeze already.

Nylon, you owe me.

No comments: